I don't know where any of you folks stand politically, but since Linux advocacy
and anti-corporate sentiments often go hand-in-hand, I thought there might be
some on the list who'd be interested in hearing this:

A couple of weeks ago, Ralph Nader held a rally in Portland, Oregon.  Much to
the surprise of everybody involved, they sold out an *entire arena* -- over
10,000 people attended this event at the Portland Coliseum, and over eight
hundred more were still trying to get in after they ran out of seats.  That's
larger than any major-party rally to date...  And these people actually *paid*
to get in.  (there's some good coverage of the rally here:
http://www.wweek.com/html/leada.html)

Minneapolis has been chosen as site #2 (something to do with our governor, I
imagine.)  The Nader campaign has booked the Target Center for September 22nd
and is trying to sell 14,000 seats.  Tickets are $7 a pop, and if there's any
interest, I'll try to bring some to the next TCLUG meeting or tell you where you
can get some.  Feel free to contact me off-list.

The part where this is kinda on-topic is that the campaign is offering to allow
non-profit groups who sell a certain amount of tickets for the campaign to set
up tables in the Target Center during the event to hand out flyers, solicit
donations, give away stuff, etc (at present, selling stuff is verboten, mainly
for tax reasons).  I realize that this isn't exactly Comdex (and it certainly
ain't Strictly Business), but I thought I'd at least mention it, as we have an
opportunity to get into the action in the early stages.

Incidentally, they'll be setting up campaign offices in Minneapolis in the near
future and will probably be looking for a few technical people to volunteer time
or equipment to wire up an office some evening.  Again, anybody interested in
helping out or just looking for more info can contact me off-list.

I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled TCLUG traffic now...

--
Eric Hillman
UNIX Sysadmin/Webmaster
ehillman at cccu.com