You need to use hdparm to tweak your harddisks parameters. Be very careful
though.  Most importantly, make sure you have a ATA66-compliant IDE cable.
I had machine with an ATA66 drive and the cable was only rated for ATA33.
I tweaked the drive with hdparm and got a little performance boost, but
when I rebooted, the filesystem was toast :)  I later discovered the cable
problem when I threw FreeBSD on the machine and Free's kernel told me that
my cable was non-ATA66 compliant and that it was reverting my drive to
ATA33 mode :)  FreeBSD rocks.

Gabe

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:01:32PM -0500, Seth I. Bernsen wrote:
> Does anybody know, if I install RH6.2 with the latest updates, will I
> have support for Ultra66?  Currently I'm running one of the newer
> unsupported kernels from kernel.org, but I'm having all kinds of problem
> with network protocol support.  I'd like to go back to a supported
> kernel, but I need the Ultra66 support.
>
> --
> Seth Bernsen
> Software Engineer
> United Defense
> Phone: 612-572-4993
> Fax:   612-572-4858
> http://www.udlp.com

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"I'm gonna hit ya, and you're gonna fall.
 And I'm gonna look down, and I'm gonna laugh."
 						- Ren Hoek in "Sven Hoek"