I have to concur that Plextor makes good drives. I've had
a PlexWriter (original, 2x), a 20x reader, and a 8/2/20 CD/RW.

One very good this about Plextor is that should there be a
problem, the drives are serviced in the US (California). Some
drives have to be shipped overseas (by you or the local office).

Since the drives are pretty cheap, you could go buy a new one
and sell the repaired one when it returns, but that's a pain.

Chris