So, how do you upgrade the SMB server on it?  Or install a new version of
LPR (for example - I doubt a new lpr version would come out anytime soon,
if ever).

Gabe

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:31:55AM -0500, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
> Well, I finially got to play with this little Netgear printserver I picked
> up. All I can say is, neat! It supports LPR, SMB, and Netware (all at the
> same time no less.) and two physical printers (8 logical printers, each
> printer can have 4 different profiles.)
>
> The thing has a embedded SMB server, so when you connect to it via SMB,
> you'll see two printers, P1 and P2. I don't have a need for logical
> printers, but I assue they would show up as well.
>
> If the printer hanging off this thing worked in Linux I would have tried it
> out, but alas, no such luck. Netgear has a script (you can get it from their
> website or the included CD)
>
> As with other Netgear devices it is a heavy duty device.
>
> There is windows software included to configure the server, but the windows
> software is really just a front end. The printserver is configured by ftp!
> Ftp to the server, get CONFIG, edit the confing file, and put CONFIG.
> Restart the print server and you new config takes effect. Slick.
>
> There aren't many configuration issue to worry about though, the only thing
> I changed is the name of the print server to make it easier to remember. It
> configured it network settings via DHCP. (you can also upe arp or bootp...)
> If you don't have an automatic configuration server, you'll have to use the
> windows software to configure the IP address via IPX.
>
> At about half the price of an external HP JetDirect server, this thing seems
> to be well worth it. I hope it eliminates a few printing headaches. I have
> the PS110 model, there is another modle that combines the print server with
> a 4-port hub should you find that useful.
>
> Ok, off to see what the autogenerated printcap looks like...
>
> --
> Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
> LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126
> 21801 Industrial Blvd       | (PCS) 612-306-6055
> Rogers, MN  55374           | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"What's the big sleep, Ren?"
"Death, you eediot, death!!  Just like we'll be if we don't get outta here!"
			                   - Ren and Stimpy in "Big House Blues"