My experience with changing motherboards with windows 9x and NT and linux

9x: I always remove all motherboard resources in the device manager, and any
others that are going bye-bye, before shutting down the last time with that
board. After the new board is in, it redetects all the new resources. There
shouldn't be any duplicates or anything. 95% of the time that works fine.

NT: I do nothing. Shutdown the box, replaced the board. Powered up and
everything was fine. I have done this twice. Once from a Single Pentium 100,
changed to a Dual Pentium 133. Once from a Pentium 133, changed to Pentium II
266 (this box now runs Debian only). Although I MAY have reinstalled the last
service pack installed, but I cant remember.

Linux: I just make sure that any drivers the new board needs are compiled into
the kernel before shutting down for the last time. Replace the board, and go.

I havent reinstalled (format, reload all software) my main computer since DOS 5.
I still have my DOS directory with all sorts of DOS based viewers and things.
Norton Commander, svga.exe (viewer), all the DOS based archiving programs, etc.
I upgraded to DOS 6.22, then Win3.11, then Win95, then Win95 OSR2, then Win98,
then 98SE, then Windows 2000 with dual boot Debian. There have been about 5 or 6
total hardware changes. But the data and such is still there.

This is just my experience. Not making any claims, or giving advice. You can all
think I am crazy if you like.