On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 08:39:08AM -0500, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> No, my workstations at home are RedHat.  I was just poking around to see
> how they were setup.  The laptop under discussion is Debian.

First.  Make sure you can get your card to work manually.  Then,
configure your pcmcia scripts in /etc/init.d/pcmcia to only start the
card services but NOT initialize the eth0 device.

Then, in /etc/network/interfaces add an entry for your eth0 card...
# A snippet from the interfaces file...
#
# A PCMCIA ethernet DHCP client:
#
# iface eth0 inet dhcp
#     noauto
#
# (note, this won't work unless you specifically change the file
# /etc/pcmcia/network to look more like:
#
#     if [ -r ./shared ] ; then . ./shared ; else . /etc/pcmcia/shared ; fi
#     get_info $DEVICE
#     case "$ACTION" in
#         'start')
#             /sbin/ifup $DEVICE
#             ;;
#         'stop')
#             /sbin/ifdown $DEVICE
#             ;;
#     esac
#     exit 0
#
# This works fine for the author, but isn't a supported configuration)

Debian has gone to using "ifup" and "ifdown" to enable and disable
your ethernet and networking devices.  Read up on these tools.  Walk
through the init scripts so you understand what's happening.  If you
learn anything in working with any Linux system, you'll learn how to
read bash scripts. ;-)

See also: interfaces(5), ifup(8), ifdown(8), /etc/init.d/networking,
    /etc/network/*,
    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-[txt|html]/NET3-HOWTO.[txt|html].gz,
    ../etc...

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie