On  0, barnabas at knicknack.net wrote:
> Are you familiar with the veto option?  It allows you to specify files
> which will never be seen by the SMB client.  I use qmail and since
> it's mail spool is under the user's home directory, I was planning to
> use the veto option to hide that directory from them.
>
> BTW, I just finished reading the O'Reilly Samba book, which is the
> only reason I know this stuff.  I highly recommend it.
>
> Eric
>
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 11:58:00AM -0500, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
> > barnabas at knicknack.net wrote:
> > >
> > > In the smb.conf file there is an option, map hidden, which, if true,
> > > uses the executable by others bit (0001) on Un*x files as the hidden
> > > bit for DOS files.  I think it is off by default.  You may want to
> > > check whether you really want to use it.
> > >

> > Don't remember why I turned that option on, but I really don't want it on I
> > guess. (I think dotfiles were showing up in the users home directories and I
> > was tryind different settings, and didn't turn that one back off.)
> >
> > Anyway, that cleared it up. My user can see all his documents now. Thanks.

I have just tried the following veto option in Samba config.

veto files = /.*/

This is to hide all the dot files. At first I tried to use "hide dot files"
option and that did not work. Then I did try the "veto files" option. That
does not hide the dot files. How can you hide the .qmail* files and other dot
files in the "veto files", using a wildcard character?

--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/