I've had a lot of problems getting Xfree 4.0.1 running with my voodoo3.
I followed the instructions for the minimal install, which I originally
thought was my mistake.  After I had 3.3.6 gone and 4.0.1 installed I
tried to configure it automatically with 'xf86cfg' which I think just
runs 'XFree86 -configure'.  The screen flickered and up came the GUI
config.  Shortly after that, it quit and returned to just the standard
background.  I killed X and looked back at the log and it couldn't find my
mouse (which is a standard 3-button serial and detected it fine under
3.3.6).  I edited the file it generated and when I re-ran X, it worked
fine.  However it would only go in 640x480x8.  Then I tried 'xf86config'
because I've never had a problem with that in the past.  Then I found out
there isn't an entry for the voodoo3.  So after a few minutes of changing
things I finally got it to load up in 1280x1024x24.  But the DRI module
wasn't loading.  Reading README.DRI showed me how to load it and enable it
for all users.  Besides that, I found the document fairly worthless.  Also,
it mentions there should be kernel modules, a 'glxinfo' app, and a 'gears'
app.  I checked the FILES file for them but they weren't anywhere in the
release.  On dri.sourceforge.net I found glxinfo and gears.  After getting
that and running glxinfo, I noticed that it was only using the software
renderer (indirect).  Snooping around in the CVS I found the kernel
modules in:

   xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/

I retrieved that directory and ran make.  It generated tdfx.o which I
copied to the misc module directory.  Then re-ran X and glxinfo.  This time
it fully detected my voodoo3.  So after a week I got XFree 4.0.1 fully
working.  I hope I just missed a lot of documentation that made this
easier, because it shouldn't be that difficult to setup.  However, since
this isn't their current version, it doesn't have to completely work.

					Ross