Hi Charlie.

There most certainly is a text based install process. Look at the CD-ROM jacket and see if there is a reference to "Installation with menu-driven YaST1". This is the older install application. (Its also still the primary administration/configuration tool.) I'm running SuSE 7 Pro and its on the sleeve for CD-ROM #2. (If you're running the Personnal Edition I've not seen that so I'm not sure where the notes would be.)

I looked in the Quick Install Guide and didn't see a reference to YaST1. FWIW I had to use the boot floppy to get started (Using a BIOS manager on an XL harddrive that doesn't allow boot from CD)and I had a choice for Text or Graphical installer. You could always do it that way.

I'm planning to be at the Installfest on Saturday so if you can be there I'd be glad to help.

Good Luck.
Jack