Hey all,

I just picked up a new 21" monitor.  The 15" was killing my eyes at
1024x768, and I wanted more desktop real-estate.

A few weeks ago I tried upgrading to XFree 4.  It didn't work well, and I
believe it was because they didn't have accelerated drivers for my card
(ATI Mach64 3D Rage Pro
Blinky-Whoop-de-Shoot-integrated-web-server-makes-breakfast-or-lunch
thingy).

Anyways, so I was trying to get X to support my new monitor.  It handles
30-107 horiz and 50-160 vert, up to 1800x1600.  I tried running XF86Setup,
but it would get into the X cross-hatch screen and wouldn't load the
config program (whether I chose to use the existing config or not had no
effect).  Then I tried using xf86config, which seems to be generating a
config that X can't read.  I figured it had something to do with my
attempted upgrade to X4.

After the failed upgrade I copied the original slack packages back over
and copied my original XF86Config back.

So basically my question is, how do I configure X now?  I want 1280x1024,
maybe 1600x1200 (depends on how tiny that gets...).

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications