> What I don't get is why everyone is so ticked off.
>
> First, 6.2 is rock solid. So, unless you want bleeding edge. Stay on 6.2.
>
> Second, that the open source mantra of release early, release often. Learn it.
> LIVE IT, but respect it. Living by this mantra can have some side effects.

Amen.  I'd actually like to see RedHat formalize what seems to be their default
release pattern --

x.0: bleeding-edge stuff that's not recommended for production but is fine for
RH users who just want the latest version of XFree86 and don't mind being part
of the Open Source community's worldwide QA team and loading a ton o' patches
besides...

x.1: about as stable as any ordinary Windows release.  Any bugs will probably be
obscure, affecting mostly folks with a particular combination of hardware or
whatever.

x.2: production quality.

So long as folks continue to be able to download or purchase x.2 versions until
the next iteration comes out, this is a cycle I can live with, and preferable (I
think) to running a trickle of incremental upgrades on an almost daily basis.

Admittedly, though, this is a pretty major bug...  Although perhaps there's
something to be said for the fact that a runaway program on RH7.0 takes *three
weeks* to run out of file descriptors...