From: Adam Maloney [mailto:adamm at sihope.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 9:37 AM
To: MINN LINUX USERS
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:22484] The mission 0f the Mn Linux group

I used to work for an ISP that was all Linux.  A fall-out with management
ended my employment.  We started with 1 Proliant running SCO, then NT.
When I left there were a dozen servers running Slackware and 6 or 7
workstations running Mandrake (no, I didn't sell out, the decision to go
with Mandrake was out of my hands).  I feel that in the right hands Linux
is a viable alternative to commercial unix.  I had very stable systems and
rarely had problems.  Every once in awhile I'd come across hardware that
didn't support Linux (Linux supported the hardware, but the vendor
wouldn't give us tech support) but those were few and far between.

I had a slack 3.4 (maybe earlier) box doing mail, DNS and radius
(sendmail, BIND, livingston, respectively).  A couple machines that backed
up those services, and a crapload of web servers.

I believe Real-Time is also all Linux, and they seem pretty successful.
I'm sure they would agree with what I've said.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications

For additional commands, e-mail: tclug-list-help at mn-linux.org