Charles Leyda wrote:

> I just recent added my name to the mail list for this
> group. I am an one man shop Unix User of 20 years in a
> small Job Shop employing 100 people using NCR Computer
> with digi boards and 40 wyse terminal and 14 printers
> and 9 pc.
> I have been seriously look at Linux to replace it. I
> had hope to obtain info from this group to aid in the
> conversion. This appears to be a group of fun people
> that like to eat and drink at their meetings. Is there
> anybody in this group that is seriosly thinking of
> using Linux to replace Unix ???

Charles,

I work in the electric utility business and have seen linux take an ever
increasing role in SCADA (supervisory control and
data acquisition), DMS (distribution management) and as consoles.   I
have seen utilities replace expensive workstations
that were used only as consoles and in their place - dual monitor linux
boxes.

All of my customers have linux running somewhere and they all have plans
on continuing to increase their presence.  It just
makes good business sense - low cost and highly flexible (box can be
used for development, as a server, or simply as a console)
and less hassle with licenses.

Matt.