I had a demo copy of NFR awhile back.  Unfortunately, they sent me some beta
version which wasn't supposed to be released and it kept crashing.  Their
sales reps took 3 months to call me back and by that time I had already
implemented snort.  We also looked at Cisco's IDS.  One thing I noticed is
that updates for attack signatures only come every couple of months on the
commercial stuff.  With snort, updates happen hourly (a new visions.conf is
generated each hour on whitehats.com).

The nice thing about NFR and Cisco's thing is it's pretty much already
configured and ready to go.  Snort requires alot of screwing around to get
alerting and reporting working as you'd like it to.  However, the beta
version of snort has mysql support and there is a nifty web based frontend
for doing reporting somewhere on CERT's website.

Pricing on NFR was around $30,000 per license, and pricing on Cisco's was
even more because you needed a "probe" box and you also needed the reporting
box.

At cs.umn.edu, were you only sniffing traffic going to/from your border
router(s), or were you sniffing *ALL* internal traffic?

I haven't really devised a way to sniff all of our internal traffic since
there's WAY over 1000Mbit/sec of traffic going on on any of our VLAN's at
any one time.  Since over 70% of all compromises come from employees, it
would be better to have it on the inside networks, but I guess that's what
gratuitous use of firewalls is for.  :)

Jay