I've had the opportunity to buy a fair number of medium level consumer drives,
and I feel like most are good with some rare but absolutely horrible cases for
most of the manufacturers.

The absolute best drive experience I had was with a Quantum drive
which came with a five year warranty.  I picked it up on discount for
$400.00.  I then used it as a primary drive on a data-base
server, and it was used hard for 4-1/2 years.

It finally went belly up, (which caused no problems).  For kicks I called
up Quantum and told them it was dead - they told me they had nothing
comparable so they would cut me a check.  Turns out the check was for
their list price, so I ended getting a little more than $500.00 back.

Pretty sweet,
Kent