I just set up with what seems to be a very linux-friendly, free dynamic dns
provider: dynu.com. They offer a linux client, either as source (7k) or a
static binary (3k). I am running the client on a host behind my Qwest DSL.
You can see a slightly modified Apache test page at http://frogtown.dynu.com.
Woohoo.

Currently, the client needs to be loaded manually, and passed a domain &
password at startup. I'm wondering what strategy I should use to run this
client as a service automatically on boot. Stuff I'm pondering:

1) Is it safe to just hack the source and embed my domain & password, or is
there a more logical & secure approach to that problem?

2) As which user should the client run? It doesn't need to run as root, so
should it run as 'nobody','bin', 'daemon' or some other user?

3) Which script should I use to start (& stop if need be) the client? I'm
thinking /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 (Slackware 7.1)

Comments & ideas much appreciated. See you ALL at Billy's on Thursday - it's
only 1/2 mile from my house, so I'll be in early... too bad Billy's doesn't
have any Scotch really worth drinking ;)

--
Bill Layer
Sales Technician