On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 12:12:09PM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> When I saw this I asked the kernel hackers here at work about this.
> What they tell me is this in a nutshell and edited for space.
> a: gcc has been nearly completely integrated into egcs
> b: egcs compiles both C, and C++
> c: Noone would do kernel/device driver or other low-level hacking in C++
>
> So fear not young jedi, the rebelion is far from crushed.

Snippet from the GCC Home page[1]:

    In April 1999, the egcs steering committee was appointed by the
    FSF as the official GNU maintainer for GCC. At that time GCC was
    renamed from the "GNU C Compiler" to the "GNU Compiler Collection"
    and received a new mission statement.

    Currently GCC contains front-ends for C, C++, Objective C, Chill,
    Fortran, and Java (GCJ).

With regards to egcs, it was rolled back into gcc back at release
3.95 in July of 1999[2].  In other words, there is no such thing as
EGCS any more.

Snippet from the g++(1)[3]:

    NAME
           g++ - GNU project C++ Compiler

    SYNOPSIS
           g++ [option | filename ]...

    DESCRIPTION
           The C and C++ compilers are integrated; g++ is a script to
           call gcc with options to  recognize  C++.   gcc  processes

Other Links of interes:

GCC FAQ-o-Matic:
    What is the Relationship between GCC and EGCS?
        http://gcc.gnu.org/fom_serv/cache/8.html
Front-ends to GCC:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/frontends.html

RESOURCES