Not true.  When I was at Internet Exposure I eventually hired an
apprentice of sorts.  Igor was 10 years my senior, had 2 inches and 60
pounds on me, but was hired as more or less an assistant admin.  He knew
basic unix, from a user standpoint (perms, file manipulation, etc) but he
wanted to learn everything about unix administration.  He did very well,
learned extremely quickly.  Eventually he became more interested in the
networking side of things, and went and got his CCNA after I had left the
company.  Between him and one of the programmers, they were able to keep
the company functioning until my replacement was found.

You're right about experience though, and that's always been difficult.
The only way to become good at your job is through experience, but
breaking into the field to get that experience is tough.  Fortunately for
us, the demand for skilled tech workers is high enough that many companies
will take whoever they can get.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications