On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 11:06:25AM -0500, Charles Clifton Fulton wrote:
> As for getting it to work, you can specify the media with ifconfig.  I
> don't remember the exact syntax off hand but I think it goes something
> like:
>
> ifconfig -media 10baseT/UTP

No dice...

pchan /home/esper# ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT
SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported
pchan /home/esper# ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT/UTP
Unknown media type.

(Side question:  If, for some odd reason, you should happen, as root, to
enter `ifconfig eth0 down` without bothering to unmount all your NFS mounts
and the log starts spewing "RPC: sendmsg returned error 101", how do you
recover, assuming that ^C won't kill the ifconfig command, your window
manager won't close the xterm ifconfig is running in, the steady stream of
RPC errors prevents a console login (or opening a new xterm), and the
ethernet interface being down prevents a remote login?  Without rebooting.

This is a purely hypothetical question, of course...)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+