Im on this bandwagon...text mode all the way. I hate screwing
with X and the right video hardware especially when you want to
breath life into an old 486 or somthing. I use win98 for my GUI to
do all the windows crap-apps and telnet to my linux boxes. If you
are comfortable with a CLI then it doesnt matter if your on the box
or dialed over a 9600 baud modem from India, you get the same
funtionality. That to me makes a powerful system. Plus, GUI's are
toys 90% of the time...ncurses lib all the way!!! :)

Cheers!!