so for the record, if i make a root partiton on a spare drive and
copy all the files over to mirror a normal drive, then set boot=/dev/hda
(or whatever), run "lilo", swap the drives, and reboot my machine
it will automatically boot on the new drive?

In other words, setting "boot=/dev/sda" and running "lilo" is the
equvilent of that question during install that askes where you
would like to install the boot loader (which usually i pick /dev/sda)?

Jason