Jason DeStefano wrote:

> If I'm understanding you right I think it sounds like the boot
> loader didnt get transferred to the raid partition. The boot loader
> is *usually* installed on the MBR of the boot drive (/dev/hda if its
> IDE). Without it, linux wont load. I dont think running lilo after
> changing the boot drive will install the boot loader to the MBR
> of the other drive. So when you pull your BusTek drive out you
> lose your boot loader on that drive's MBR and therefore it cant
> boot cause it doesnt exist on the new drive.

Thanks for the reply.  I had already written the MBR on the RAID,
and the RAID drive boots with no other *drives* in the system.  What
the RAID drive won't do is boot without the BusTek card in the system.
Note that the BusTek card doesn't have any drives attached to it, it
is just in there for no reason (other than the fact that it magically
makes the RAID array boot...).

Oh, to get lilo to write to any drive, change the directive

boot=/dev/sda

to whatever drive you want the MBR written to.  (boot=/dev/sdb, etc...)

> Unfortunately I dont know how to fix this (assuming this is your
> problem). I just know that I've had problems trying to boot off
> a drive that wasnt the orginal boot drive I installed to. My solution
> was to never create a situation where I had that problem. :)
>
> Beyond that, I'm clueless. :)

Hey, that's the way it oughta be...
Kent