After many hours of scouring the internet trying to figure out why my
linux box only recognizes only 64Mb of my 128Mb RAM, I found an article
with the solution.  It seems to be an issue with my mainboard (Gigabyte
GA-71XE).  In a post on linuxhardware.com, someone upgraded to a
2.3.99pre6 kernel and it solved the memory issue.  I know enough about
linux to know that 2.3.x is a beta kernel and I am willing to upgrade in
order to utilize an extra 64Mb of RAM.  I haven't found any good
documentation on using a beta kernel.  Any suggestions\cautions?

btw, I've built kernels before, just not a beta one yet.  I have tried
many things to solve this problem: appending lines to the lilo.conf
file, passing parameters to the kernel on install, and switching the
DIMM chip into different slots to name a few.

Thanks,

Jon