I have it running away. Basically it just scans my windows drives while I'm
sleeping from a cron job. Bad part is once or twice I was playing Quake 3 at
that hour. I haven't updated the virus patterns in awile though.

I think it should be possible to update the virus files semi-automatically.
All you need to do is grab the tar file and extract it to the directory
where uvscan is installed. (I double checked this by updating the the files.
:) Just do this while uvscan isn't running.

The command I run from cron is actually a shell script...

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/uvscan/uvscan -c -d /usr/local/uvscan -p -r --summary / >
/var/log/uvscan.log

I should set it up to e-mail me the info, but this is just my home machine
so I don't really care enough. :)

Anyway, you could have it installed on one machine and just run it via nfs,
or set up a rsync/cvs/ftp/whatever server and have your cronjob grab the
latest patterns before scanning. Simply mirror
ftp.mcafee.com/pub/datfiles/english/ (All you need to do is grap the tar
file, seems they only keep one tar file in the directory at a time.)

If you have Windows users mapping drives off the server, it's probally a
good idea to have a virus scanner running on the server. The virus won't do
anything to the server, but the Windows clients will be able to mess with
files shared by the server.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132