On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 12:59:52AM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Under windows, if I hold down alt, and hit 164 on the keypad, it will type
> an n with a squiggly thing above it.  How do I do this under linux?
>
> Apparently my spanish speaking friends get all huffy-puffy when I don't use
> the correct characters even though they know what I mean.  :)

If you're in X, use the US-International keyboard map.  This means any
time you type the special accent or quote characters, you'll need to
hit them twice to get the actual quote character.  Still, it allows
you to do weird things like the umlauts, accents, and backticks, etc.

I'm not sure exactly WHICH map it is.  You can select this keyboard
while using XF86Setup or xf86config.  There's probably some other ways
to set it.  Otherwise, use the character picker method.

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
             http://www.wookimus.net/