Bill Layer wrote:

> Word on the street is that neTRAVERSE Win4Lin is currently the best solution for
> running Win32 apps under Linux.
>
> http://www.winforlin.com

Checking them out as well.

> I run WINE, and FWIW, it seems like a pretty sketchy program - a lot of
> promise, but still needs some serious krausening. A lof of stuff that is
> supposed to work, doesn't. See my previous post about network access issues
> under WINE.

--Still giving them a thought, will do more additional research.  Do
recall that topic going around.

Ron wrote:
My experinece is that VMWare definitely performs well on a PII 450 with
128 ram while compiling mysql in the virtual machine but on a similar
machine with a celeron 450 it was miserably slow. This could well have
been my own misguided configuration. Ultimately, concerning performance,
think VMWare performs like a charm with the right hardware.

--For me, at this point, I'm going to say that hardware may be a
non-issue.  I'm looking at doing this on an AMD Athlon 1GHz, 256MB ram,
and a 45GB hard drive.  But can never tell really until it's done.

Eric wrote:
It's been a long time since I tried anything under Wine, but I run
VMWare all the time.  The only instability I see running Windows under
VMWare is the same instability I would expect to see running Windows
directly on the hardware.  Linux under VMWare runs like a champ.

--Does this include the nasty little "can't shut the pc down regardless
of how many patches are applied" to Windows?  That's the primary problem
I'm running into right now is that the dang thing hangs on the stupid
closing windows screen.  I've disabled tons of stuff, and also the nic
wake on lan capability.  Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Andy wrote:
When you look at it, WINE is free but with that you also get limited
support, but WINE does have better DirectX support than both Win4Lin and
VMWare.

--I think there's been a vast amount of documentation on it lately.
Could be wrong though.  Understandable on the support thing though.

Win4Lin and VMWare don't emulate windows, instead they emulate a
computer.
The benifit is that you can get almost every feature the OS supports,
but
bad is they are a bit more hardware intensive.

--Sorry, but don't seem to understand this.  Isn't emulating a computer
and emulating windows about the same?  Sorta new to this stuff, so not
quite comprehending it exactly.

Win4Lin's goals are a bit different than VMWare's as well. Win4Lin's
goal is
to run every business application they can with minimal amount of
overhead.
VMWare's aim is to fully suppoer all the features of the guest OS.
(Including Multimedia like QuickTime, DirectX, etc.) VMWare is getting
closer to that goal with each release, QuickTime video actually looks
decent
on the latest release (sounds aweful though!).

--Going by this, VMWare would be better suited for my needs.  I'm not
running a lot of business apps, as it's on my home machine.  E-mail,
office stuff, and the like I do in Linux.  Primarily what I do in
Windows is games, and some scanning stuff.  Haven't configured my
scanner to Linux yet, also have yet to see Omni-Page pro type apps in
Linux.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Shawn