I am have great difficultly getting my network card to come up.  I have an
internal NIC that uses the tulip driver.  I have checked the proc/pci and
found the card listed in there.  When I do an lsmod I find tulip
installed.  When I do an ifconfig eth0 up, it returns fine.  When I do
ifconfig again it lists the information minus the inet address.  When I do
the lsmod again tulip reports "Used by 1".  The IRQ is 5 and io base
address is 8c00.  No other device is conflicting with the IRQ.  Now correct
me if I am wrong but should not the light on the back of the card turn on
when the card is brought up.  If so, why is it not coming on.  Even when it
is connected to my external cable modem it doesn't turn on.

I am running Debian 2.2.  I have read, among other things, an article from
Byte magazine which I found a link to in the mailing list archive.

Some one please help, I have been working on this for a couple of weeks and
am getting discouraged.

John