Clay

Thanks for the reply. At least I found the log files! In the gdm logfile was a
complaint from glib, and in the regular logfile there was an entry about pwent
(part of PAM) returning NULL so :0 was aborted. So, I replaced gdm, pam, and
glib with no results (It still dies on login). The gdm and pam packages also
verified, but I replaced them anyway.

I noticed that it complains the gdm logfile about there not being a user 42.
This shouldn't be a big problem as I have another machine without it and it
still succeeds. I created the user from the password file of a machine that
works (I don't know enough about Linux to do any fancy modifications, so the
installations should be the same) and also created the home dir. Didn't help.

There's a difference between the logfiles of machines that work and those that
dont: the successful one says that it's doing SetKeyboard and then claims it
succeeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed Hoeffner