On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 03:15:23PM -0600, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:
>     I have started learning the C language recently, and I wonder if
> anyone on the list might have good suggestions for programming books in C
> that they might recommend. I like programming books that start you off in

First, you should have the C Language Reference by Kernighan and Richie.
It's the bible as far as the language is concerned.

Second, I would recommend Beginning Linux Programming, published by Wrox
Press.  I wish I had bought the first edition years prior to when I
bought the second edition.  It covers all of the great Linux/Unix
programming tools including files, sockets, IPC, dbm, shared memory,
etc.  It also includes some great chapters on other Linux related
languages like shell, Perl and Tcl/tk.  It reads well (for a programming
book) and the examples are great.

If you get beyond that, Professional Linux Programming was just
published.  It continues on into the realm of applications programming
without duplicating anything that was in Beginning Linux Programming.

Nate