------Original Message------
From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy at veldy.net>
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Sent: June 29, 2000 5:53:04 PM GMT
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:19294] DSL/Cable service

I haven't checked - but I am willing to bet latency sucks with Charter as
well - which is a major reason for Broadband.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net

Charter in general has latency problems.  In St. Cloud we basically have 2
choices, either Charter or Astound.  When I had a cable modem, I was using
Astound and their downtime was unbearable.  They were constantly having
routers dropping out, and usually no techs that knew enough to
reboot/reconfigure them.  My friend has Charter and although has never
experienced a second of downtime, has noticed major latency problems.  I
think Charter may have some misconfigured routers upstream that are slowing
things down (routing loops and what not).  My solution to this whole problem
was getting ADSL :-).  99% uptime, 256k minimum speed at all times.  There
really is no substitute in my opinion.  Ok, a T1 would be nice but $800/mo
is a bit spendy :-)