> From: George Swan <g-swan at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
>
> At 11:48 AM 6/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >A friend of mine and I bought a pair of P-75 IBM 350s (each
> >with a token ring card) for $100 (for the pair).  They each
> >had 32MB of memory and a 510MB disk.
>
> Hmmm.  Further investigation says this has 16MB RAM
> and 900MB HD  So I suppose it could be a little high....

Do you mean the price is a little high?  I guess it depends.
We got our boxes locally from Materials Processing
(http://materialsprocessing.com) surplus store.  They advertise
3Com Etherlink III cards for $5 each.  (These are listed as June
Specials, so it's not clear how long that price will last.)

> >The only thing weird about the machine is that it doesn't have
> >64MB as a supported memory configuration.
> (Me: "Doiy..") does RAM affect the firewall process?
> Doesn't it all just pass on through?  (Newbie here...)
> So... Do I need to boost it to 32MB Would the slots automatically
> be there?

I don't know that you need the extra memory, but it's nice to have
memory for buffers, etc.  The slots will recognize two 16MB SIMMs
as 32MB, but not four 16MB SIMMs for 64MB.

> >I did find an IBM site that had updates for it (video, BIOS,
> >and diagnostics).
> Do I want this address?
> (Heh, sure I'll take it if you have it handy.  Don't go diggin' though.)

Well, you can start at www.pc.ibm.com and search or try this:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/JBAR-3TTPG3.html?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=IBM+PC%7CPC+350&family=IBM+PC%7CPC+350&doctype=Product+information&subtype=All

If you know the type and model you can use the "Quick Path" query box on
the lower left.

> >I plan to put a couple of 3c509s (that I already have) in mine
> >and use it for a firewall box.
> (Opens old RH5.2 Installation manual...)
> 3c509 = 3Com EtherLink III?  (assuming the 's' means card's')

That's what they used to call them.

> The repair guy seller says he assumes "10BaseT"  (Duh!!!??)
> He didn't know what maker.
>
> For a second card, what about the reliability of second hand ether cards?
> Any notions about that?  Or should I just head for NanoSystems?

I have no clue about reliability of second-hand cards.  Certainly they
have been handled more than new cards, but if you pay $5 for the card,
you can buy 4 or 8 of them in place of a new card.

dsc