> >In the end - I see the only people using Debian are the gear-heads who
are
> >apt fans.  Make way for Corel and Storm - the debian descendants.
>
> What's a gear head? Umm, aren't Corel and Storm based on the current
stable
> dist? Last time I tried either of them, they were a debian core with a
bunch
> of garbage and a crappy install (by that I mean no control) And storms
front
> end for apt was clunky and unpredictable at best.
>
> On the same note, everyone I know that runs debian, runs theunstable
branch. I
> run frozen on our production boxes here at sistina.
>
> Debian isn't going anywhere man. It's the most popular dist among real
linux
> enthusiasts and power users, and truth be told has by far and away the
best packaging system.

I didn't say it was going anywhere.  Slackware is also quite popular among
gear heads, but it is slowly slipping away (nobody is partnering with them
:).  I personally don't like any of them that well (debian and slackware are
the best though), so I have built my own distro.  It is running on my
development box now - but when it is finished and I have some reasonable way
to install it (clunky boot disk with reiserfs and tar -> chroot right now) I
will put it on my server to replace my BSD box.

Ah - Corel and/or Storm support glibc-2.1.x and the 2.2 kernels - so I don't
think they are based upon Debian stable.  I was not advocating those
distros - just saying that general public support of Debian will wane with
these out there (if they live up to the hipe).

A gear head is just what you mentioned - a power user - somebody who tinkers
with the OS.  BTW - just running apt-get doesn't make the system a heck of a
lot different than installing an RPM - other than you didn't have to go find
it.  Sort of like the port system on FreeBSD but binary based (instead of
source based - which I prefer).  Essentially, everyone on this list is a
gearhead, which is why Debian is so popular on this list.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.ent