On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Dave Kleist wrote:

> I'm no expert, but to me it seems backwards: with an ODBC driver in
> Windows, you can make the Postgres a datasource in Access (that's how I've
> used ODBC with other server databases - no experience with Linux databases,
> sorry).

Well that's certainly not what I'm looking for.

> One gotcha with ODBC: it processes a row-at-a-time.

Yikes! I don't think that would work very well. It seems like what I'll have
to do is import flat files into Postgres that were exported from Access. I
should have mentioned it before, but I'm interested in the data on a purely
*read-only* basis. There's no reason at this stage to allow students to
change their own grades, just view them. :-)

I don't have a lot of information yet about the structure of the data. I'm
going to dig into that next week. I'd really love to bypass Access together
and upload the tables into PostgreSQL directly from Oracle. But I don't know
what issues are involved with that, and I haven't talked to the people who
are in charge of the Oracle DB yet.

I may come back to the list in a couple days with more information and try
to glean some more wisdom from the group. Thanks again.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/