On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 03:38:42PM -0500, George Swan wrote:
> Whatever anyone else tells you about previous steps,...
>
> When you get to the part about uploading to PostGres remember the SQL:
>
> LOAD DATA INFILE <filename> INTO <tablename>
>
> If PostGress doesn't allow LOAD DATA INFILE... then switch and use MySQL.

Man.  That's a pretty small feature to base your decision on the DB
you wish to use.  Don't you think you should at least find out what
type of information will be stored/modified/updated first?  Ask Tim if
he's actually going to change data or if he's simply trying to display
it.  We should also be asking whether the data is a normalized
database or a wide, un-normalized database.

To answer the question as to whether PostgreSQL can do "bulk copy
program" functionality, as it's commonly referred to, let's look at
the PostgreSQL User's Guide.  Hmm...  (./user/sql-copy.htm):

        Name

            COPY -- Copies data between files and tables

            COPY [ BINARY ] table [ WITH OIDS ]
            FROM { 'filename' | stdin }
            [ [USING] DELIMITERS 'delimiter' ]
            [ WITH NULL AS 'null string' ]

That's seems about right.  You can access any documentation about
PostgreSQL from their website at (http://www.postgres.org).  Good luck
on your website, Tim.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>