The RSA algorithm is patented in the US, but will expire 9/2000. In the
meantime, you must build against the RSA Reference
(RSAREF) libraries.  The majority of this debacle is explained at the
following locations (and many others):

The "COPYING" document in the ssh source code.
http://www.homeport.org/~adam/crypto/rsaref.phtml
http://www.openssh.com/faq.html
http://www.rsasecurity.com/

Peter Lukas