Is it illegal to use the RSA reference implementation? I honestly
thought that that was why 'ssh' packages had a US and an International
version. Isn't it possible to make secure shell without using RSA? I'm
not saying they did these things, or that their products are not illegal
here, I am just asking the questions.

Chris Schumann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Mike mentioned rolling out SSH and X client software for windows. Since
> most commercial applications have their own installers, I'm curious
> about the need for an installer at all, unless it's to install multiple
> packages at one go.
>
> Also, I did some hard looking at SSH clients and found only one that was
> licensed by RSA, and the others either mentioned that they may not be
> legal to use in the US, or seemed completely ignorant that they may be
> publishing illegal software. (And yes, I know that key RSA patents
> expire on September 1.)
>
> Mike and others, I'd appreciate any information you could provide on
> your choice of SSH client and why you chose it/them.
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris Schumann

Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536 at tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
...Virtually never are murderers the ordinary, law-abiding people
against whom gun bans are aimed.  Almost without exception, murderers
are extreme aberrants with lifelong histories of crime, substance
abuse, psychopathology, mental retardation and/or irrational violence
against those around them, as well as other hazardous behavior, e.g.,
automobile and gun accidents."
        -- Don B. Kates, writing on statistical patterns in gun crime