Mike,

/dev/hda3 is the location of the swap partition, not /dev/hda2. Change
that in the startup scripts. What distribution are you running?

Troy

Mike Glaser wrote:

> I am getting an error at boot time that concerns me. I am not
> exactly sure what it means. Perhaps someone can straighten
> this out for me.
>
> Let me begin by saying I used PowerQuest Drive Image 3.0 to
> make an image of one linux system and I restored it two a
> different PC with a drive that was of the same capacity, but a
> different brand (IBM Deskstar --> Maxtor DiamondMax). The
> system had Windows on it previously, and when I booted, I just
> saw 'LI' and the system hung. I booted with a linux floppy,
> logged in, typed 'LILO' and rebooted. The system came up fine
> except for the error below:
>
> Activating swap partitions swapon: /dev/hda2 : Invalid Argument
>
> The system appears to run fine however. Here is what my
> partition table looks like:
>
> Device        Boot   Start      End        Blocks         ID   System
> /dev/hda1   *         1            372        2988058+    83   Linux
> /dev/hda2             373        1010      5124735        5   Extended
> /dev/hda3             1011      1027        136552+    82   Linux Swap
> /dev/hda5             373        1010      5124703+    83   Linux
>
> I used fdisk delete my swap partition, then I recreated it. That
> didn't change anything.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Glaser

Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536 at tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people.  The
possession
of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.
        -- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of
1774-1775