hard drives for backup != backup solution...

You're just asking to get burned, there's too many "what-ifs" to list.
Tape may be slow, but the shelf-life is unbeeatable and the cost is pretty
low for what you get.

If your company relies on this data, you need to start talking about
off-site storage, nightly, weekly, and monthly backups, a real solution.
IMHO, if you feel the data is important enough to back up then you
probably should use tape and have some sort of off-site storage.

Management is usually pretty open to spending some cash if you can prove
how important the data is.  Normally the time lost recreating the lost
data is more expensive then the cost of the tape drive and tapes.

The selection for a drive depends on how much data you have to back up.  I
hate Travan, but it's probably the cheapest solution if you're talking
about < 1Gb.  I've been quite happy with DLT if you need many Gb.  If you
need lots of space you can get a Quantum ALT changer that can do more than
500Gb natively for ~ $10,000 (L500).  They also have the P-1000 that can
do about twice that.  www.atlp.com

Don't forget - according to the O'reilly book, if the cost for the tapes
doesn't cost more than the drive, you're doing something wrong!

Also, Amanda is your friend.  She's also a Vietnamese prostitute that goes
by "Ming Lee"...

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications