Hello!

I'm building a file/print server.  I'd like your thoughts.

The network (as of right now) consists of 10-12 win98 machines plus one
linux backup machine.  Right now the database for the key client app (and a
bunch of other important stuff) sits on one of the win98 machines.  Ick.
Before I put the linux machine in (a p75 with 32mb, found in a closet),
they were depending on a guy switching out zip disks everyday.  Ick.  The
linux machine rsyncs the current file "server" every night, plus once a
week, so we can go back in time.  If the "server" fails, the backup machine
easily subs for it till things are righted, losing at most the day's work.
Not good, but better than trying to restore a borken machine from zips,
losing the same amount of work.

I go into detail about the backup machine because I'm thinking of using it
instead of a tape drive.  Anyhoo, here's my plan:

New dedicated file/print server (running linux, duh)

pIII 450-600
128mb ram
asus p3bf or abit bf6
2-4 quantum fireball 10.2g LM series (ide)
3ware ide raid card (2 or 4 port, doing raid 1)
dual hot swap power supply
maybe a tape drive

I somewhat expect to be beaten severely for using "ide" and "raid" in the
same sentence but...  Does anybody have any hands on experience with
3ware's cards?  The sales rep put me in contact with a couple of people who
really like them...

This is a dusty environment, so I don't trust anything that moves.
Redundancy is more important than performance.  So, raid 1, hot swap power
supplies, I feel warm and fuzzy like.

What I'm most interested in hearing about is how stupid/smart it is to use
the junker backup machine as an alternative to a tape drive.  Secondly, if
it's really stupid, I'd like some suggestions for sub $1000 tape
drives.  Of course, all other pointers will be appreciated.

This email turned out really long, sorry.

Thanks in advance!

-

Ryan