On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Mike Hicks wrote:

> But NDS doesn't provide file/printer sharing, does it?  I thought it was
> basically an authentication/information framework like NIS or LDAP.  I
> think the Mars_nwe developers will keep working, but I don't have a
> crystal ball..

I don't want to stray too far from Linux here, and I'm certainly no NetWare
expert, but I've learned a bit about it in the last couple weeks developing
some Zope stuff.

As far as I know, you could theoretically run NetWare without NDS. But in
reality, no one would. NDS is really integrated into the whole deal. BTW,
some of you who work with LDAP might be interested to know that NDS is
pretty much fully LDAP compatible. I'm using some LDAP products for Zope
that seem to work just fine with NDS.

NDS really is cool. NetWare really has some great products w.r.t
authentication and authorization, remote client management, etc. NetWare
itself seems really weird, however. It's not all that stable IMHO either. It
seems like the NetWare boxen around school are on a rather regular reboot
schedule.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Linux programming...

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/