mjn wrote:

> [root at monolith /etc]# telnet 127.0.0.1 6000
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> [root at monolith /etc]#

Hmm, it looks to me as though the port is actually open, and it did open
a connection (though the connection was immediately closed).  If your
IPchains rules were blocking connections, you would have gotten a
`connection refused' message.

> > Did I say anything about xauth in my last message?  That may be the
> > culprit..
>
> Well there is no active xauth process and aside from that I cannot
> remember where I need to go and see if I have commented it out(I remember
> a file in /etc but it is escaping me now).  The answer is sitting just out
> side the left half my brain and I cannot reach it.  If xauth is the
> culprit, what might I do to remedy the situation?

Well, xauth is not a process, it's just an authorization mechanism for X
Windows.  There *is* an xauth program used to generate the `cookies'
used to authorize the connections.  Unfortunately, I don't exactly
understand how the whole thing works, and I don't know how to generate
the correct values..

You should be able to run `xauth list' to see what cookies you have
available on your system.  I *think* that you can force X to regenerate
the cookies by deleting the cookies file.  It's location should be
specified by the $XAUTHORITY environment variable.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   I'm not nearly as think