> failure, I'll have to reencode them. Hmm...maybe I'll ogg the
> buggers...

Everything I've been doing lately is Ogg, however, the oggenc encoder is
pretty slow.  A 4 minute song takes about 4 mins to encode on a PII 450.  Of
course, the last time I used LAME, it was about equally as slow.

Of course, if you're archiving your music, who cares if it takes a long time
to encode.  Might as well do it high quality the first time, since you'll
probably be listening to it several years down the road.  Until you play you
encoded music through a nice high quality sound system, you don't appreciate
how much better a good MP3 encoder or Ogg makes it sound.