The problem is more than likely due to your sound drivers (modules).  I
recommend you switch to the ALSA drivers and be done with it.  This works
wonderfully for ALL of my computers.  http://www.alsa-project.org

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net

----- Original Message -----
From: <Brad.C.Elkin at seagate.com>
To: <tclug-list at lists.real-time.com>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 3:03 PM
Subject: [TCLUG] How can I prevent kmp3 from skipping during playback?

> I'm running Mandrake 7.0.
>
>  I use kmp3 to run music for a folk-dance group off of my laptop, but the
playback skips every-so-often.
> I'm assuming that it's a buffer underrun, but I don't know how to monitor
kmp3. It is most definitely intermittent, unrepeatable, indeterminate
> behavior and all of those other
> descriptions you learn in CSci when you have battling processes.
>  I have a 233 Mhz Pentium with the Opl3SAx sound chipset and I use the
standard drivers installed.  kmp3 seems to use about 15% of the cpu and very
> little disk time.
>  I've tried tuning with hdparm and removed the at and cron daemons. I run
kmp3 at nice -19. Only one daemon, mdrecoveryd, seems to be running with
>  a higher priority.(and I don't know what it does)
>  I also tried alsaplayer, which also skips, and occasionally the sound
drops out completely.

>  Is there a debug mode or other way that I can monitor system performance
so that I can look in (some) log file or messages file to see what else is
>  happening when kmp3 skips?
>  It looks like there is very little disk activity while running kmp3. Is
it just accepted that kmp3 occasionally skips?