You can generate your own certificate to get SSL working.  However, your
browser will always bring up a warning that says the certificate is not
signed by a signing authority.  If you're going to do a shopping cart thing
or have customers, you have to cough up the money.

If it's just for personal use, you can generate your own certificate using
openssl.  I forget how to do it, but there should be instructions on the
mod_ssl page.  If you generate your own, don't put a passphrase in it or
will have to type in that passphrase everytime your webserver starts.  If
your webserver is setup to start automatically on boot, your machine will
hang waiting for the passphrase, but you won't be able to type it in.

Mandrake 7.2 comes with mod_ssl installed and a certificate already
generated so you don't even have to do any setup.  You could probably use
the Mandrake RPM's on your system if it's rpm based.

Jay