How about channel bonding?  If you put two (or more) cards into a switch,
you'd get redundancy, plus the extra speed of more channels into your
hub/switch.

I know this is a current kernel (2.2.15+) option for sure, but I haven't
gotten it to work yet.  There should be docs/howtos/etc available in the
usual places I'm sure.

Thoughts?
MK

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Matt Thoren wrote:

> "Austad, Jay" wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know how to do adapter teaming with a couple of EEpro or 3c905's?
> >
> > I have a server that I need to put 2 NIC's in for redundancy.  If one fails,
> > the other one will still need to carry traffic.  Assigning 2 ip's is not an
> > option.
> >
> > I know you can do this with NT/2000 (blech), but how do you do it with
> > Linux?
> >
> > Jay
>
> Jay,
>
> Why is temporarily assigning 2 ips not an option?  This is the way
> Siemens did it.  A very small heartbeat program communicated to one card
> and when there was no response the program reconfigured the secondary
> ethernet card for the primary network.  Simple, inexpensive, effective.
>
> Matt.

ReadyNET Go!, Inc.  -  Building your Business on the net

Mark J. Kroska
MIS Director

320.656.0765 Voice
888.447.3239 Toll Free