Quoting Scott Dier (dieman at ringworld.org):

Dude, don't kill the messenger.

Both MAPS and ORBS throw the baby out with the bathwater every now and then. The
both admit as much.

> * Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> [001211 17:00]:
> > 1. Open relays.
>
> Mediaone's main SMTP smarthost is not an open relay.  So, why block it?

Just relaying what ORBS told me. It could also be because MediaOne blocks
ORBS from probing it's networks (like above.net).

> > 2. Failing to respond to ORBS to stop spammers.
>
> Did ORBS make a phone contact with Mediaone?  Did they even attempt to
> get a response, or did they auto-spam all the addresses they could with
> their stupid automated scanner?</bias>

Just the messenger here.

> > 3. Not submitting thier cable modems and dialups to DUNs.
>
> Really, we should block all DSL lines too.  Only registered (hey,
> perhaps ARIN can charge for this) and properly certified smarthosts
> should be allowed on the internet.</sarcasm>

Again, just the messenger.

> No, it all has to do with ORBS policy.

It's throw lots of babies out with the bathwater if I could have a spam free
mail box.  I personally agree with ORBS policy.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (612)943-8500