I've been having some odd things happening with my stock RedHat
install's logging.

I get a lot of logrotate errors, the errors being in the postrotate of
the following logs:

/var/log/samba/log.smb
/var/log/httpd/access_log
/var/log/httpd/error_log
/var/log/samba/log.nmb

Now, actually, I KNOW why these errors are occurring:  because I'm not
RUNNING the samba daemon or the http daemon, and the postrotate
scripts do the following:

/var/log/samba/log.nmb {
    postrotate
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP nmbd
    endscript
}

So what's the right thing to do here?  I don't want to stop logging
these things, actually, because what if the daemons get restarted,
either accidentally or on purpose?  Then I'd have to remember to go
back and restore this stuff.

I'd rather have good logging set up now, even for things I'm not
using, rather than bust good logging and have to remember that when I
want to start a service I have to also set up its logging and
logrotation.

So, is it possible to enhance the script to check for the presence of
the daemon process before trying to kill them?  Or is there something
else I should do?

Many thanks!
Robert