I think you can do what you just described below with qmail, without having
actual user accounts on the machine.  You should be able to use the qmail
alias files to pipe it to your program.

One thing I really like about qmail, is that it's very easy to modify the
code.  It's made up of many smaller programs with specific functions, so
it's very easy to find what you want to modify.  Try doing that with
Sendmail...  None of the code is commented though, but it's fairly
straightforward.

Jay