I believe that it is not a hardware raid contoller. I thought it had software on
a chip and no processor of its own, it used the main cpu.

I believe the escalade series of raid controllers have there own processor on
board and dont bog down the main cpu as much.

I have a Promise fasttrak 66 and an escalade 6400. I was about to test the new
promise raid controller linux drivers.