Yowza!  I didn't expect to hi an exposed nerve...

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:24:00PM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 11:49:29AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 11:40:23AM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> >
> >Interesting...  multipart/signed is plain text, but multipart/alternative
> >isn't...
> >
> The keyword there is alternative,

My point was simply that either multipart is plain text or it isn't.

> in order to read the text I need to use
> another menu and explicitly "view" the attached text.

Your mutt must be configured differently that mine, then.  When I get
multipart/alternative messages, I rarely even notice.  mutt shows me the
text/plain and mentions that there's a text/html version also.  Sure, there's
another menu involved if I want to see the HTML version, but I don't care to,
so I blow past it just like I blow past GPG's complaint about not being able
to verify your signature.

> You do know what an RFC is don't you?

Misnamed?

> When you windows users send mail to a linux related list, and someone like me
> who uses mutt tries to read that mail,

Look at my headers before assuming that, simply because I pointed out a loose
definition of what constitutes "plain text", I must be using Windows.  In
particular, take a look at the User-Agent.

> there is no proper "body" of the
> message. Hence we have to view the attachments.

Again, I rarely encounter multipart/alternatives which are mangled badly
enough that mutt doesn't show them to me in a reasonable fashion.  I don't
think I've ever seen one on the TCLUG list.  (There's usually one every
couple of weeks on debian-user, but I don't think I've run into any aside
from that.)

> It's irritating, and I asked you nicely to please post in plain text to the
> list. I don't think that's too much to ask. It might take you a second or two
> to set the address for the list to "Send plain text only" in your address
> book.

If my messages don't look like plain text to you, then there's something very
seriously wrong with your mutt config.  I'm not sending multipart/anything.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+